I took this picture the other day when we left Broken Hill. This is Jack the dog doing it hard on the back seat.
As you can see she had her two favourite people to snuggle up to, and soft flannie jackets to lay her head on.
Through the holiday she has had a steady diet of leftovers; bakery crusts, toast, bbq scraps and salad (yep, the dog loves salad). Each time we have had to leave her locked in the caravan when we went shopping (and it was too hot to leave her in the car) she got a big chew stick and a handful of biscuits to placate her.
Being a dog on holiday is not really a bad life, is it?
I don’t normally post on the weekend but I wanted to continue the weather theme started by the Show us your weather! carnival.
This is a picture of how our Jackal, and her best friend (the tiger puppet who she carries to her spot by the fire every morning) are dealing with winter.
The temperature is hovering around 10°c here at best. The days have been sunny, but it is that deceptive sun, lots of bright, not much oomph.
Jack is dealing with the cold by living within a body length of the fire at all times, unless eating or zooming out to answer the call of nature.
Here I am showing Jack looking quite stricken, her ears are back and she is pretending not to be able to see me. Why? Because she thinks I am going to move her on from her spot in front of the fire, where the temperature hovers around boiling.
I call her a carpet dog, she is not a garden dog like all the others in the neighbourhood, She likes to be comfy and warm, with a teddy nearby at all times, looking at the outside world though a window, the fire at her back.
Join in with us! Post something about your weather, good or bad, (and send the link) we would love to see it!
The nights here are very cold at the moment so our canine family member, The Jackal*, spends as much time as possible glued to the hearth in front of the blisteringly hot fire. She seems immune to the heat and we worry about her catching fire.
No, this isn’t an overprotective reaction on our behalf, the idiot actually singed her tail yesterday, the smell of burning fur was the first indicator anything was going wrong as a happy girl stood with her wagging tail swiping the glass of the door…
Her silliness stirred me to look for similar events in the past. This is the first time I have looked for a specific kind of event and been unable to find one! I think this could mean that she is exceptionally silly. 😉
I found many dog/fire articles, often dogs were the cause of fires much like this one in 1935. A playful young dog snatched a burning stick out of a fire and took off with it, spreading the fire far further than was originally intended. Fortunately the fire brigade was able to get the flames under control before they got to a nearby shop.
In other tales of dogs and fires sleeping canines were tripped over, causing burning lamps or candles to be spilled, but the majority of tales were of brave pooches saving their owners when fires broke out.
Sadly for us I don’t ever see the Jackal performing such a heroic act. She may well be cause of the fire but I will expect her time will be spent getting close as possible to the heat instead of warning us of impending danger!
*Our dog is tiny and very cute so being called The Jackal is entirely wrong for her, that is why it sticks…
What a nice story, I love that Paddy occasionally got to go off on boating adventures before being returned to his home on the docks. Unfortunately this story is not one we are ever likely to see in this day and age.
These days, if Paddy the Wanderer started hanging around the waterfront he would quickly be deemed a risk to health and safety. The poor little bugger would be whisked off to the pound by the ranger before he had a chance to make any friends at all!
This sounds unlikely but I have no doubt it is true. Last year our cattle dog spent half an hour going completely off his head in the garden. Nothing I did would shut him up and I couldn’t work out what he was on about until I went outside. There, slightly above tree height and circling their intended prey , were two wedge-tailed eagles.
We get them here regularly but they are using the thermals off the hills to get around more than swooping into our gardens and eating pets.
This time though, it was quite obvious what they were after and once I put the dog inside they cleared off in a matter of minutes. Of course, after half an hour of incessant barking I was almost ready to leave him to his fate! I suspected that the eagle would come off second best to the bitey little bugger though, so I was really doing them a favour, although I am sure the birds were not happy with his escape.
I’m not happy with young Watts killing the bird with a stick to the back of the head. Unfortunately, if the dog had bitten the wing hard enough the bird would have likely met its end fairly horribly, being unable to fly. A bad ending for the feathered fiend either way. Back then farmers were convinced that eagles were responsible for lambs being taken and hunted them unmercifully. This eagle didn’t do its kind any favours on that day in 1898, and certainly gave local farmers more reason to mistrust them!
According to Pliny the Elder, Cleopatra, in a display that proves that crazy people rise to the top, dissolved an obscenely large pearl in vinegar and drank it in order to win a who-was-the-most-wasteful bet with Mark Antony.
You know, if I had more money than I knew what to do with I would send a large pearl through the innards of a dog, just to tell you if this news story from 1930 has any truth or not.
Of course my findings in that case might end up being guesstimates made from the far end of a shovel and won’t be entirely scientific.
I don’t have anything like that much money so we will just have to rely on internet rumour and speculation to make any findings. The inside of a dog is unlikely to be as acidic as Cleopatra’s carefully prepared dish, so even if the actresses pearl passed all the way through it would have still looked like a pearl at the other end. I expect that it would hardly have the same lovely sheen when is was recovered though.
An emetic induces vomiting, so in this case they didn’t have to wait for the pearl to pass by the normal means. This probably means they got it out rather quickly and makes me quite suspicious of this insurance claim. I wonder how long a pearl has to spend inside a gut to reduce significantly in size? I wonder if the actress had a smaller pearl just hanging around and found a use for it?