Jacket cleaned with petrol, matches in the pocket and the origin of the fire is uncertain? Really? Let me take a guess.
When I found this I thought “Yay, a spontaneous human combustion story.” Now I just think that people in the past must have tolerated far worse smells than we do today. And had less respect for flammable liquids.
There is no way I would purposely clean some clothing in petrol if I ever wanted to wear it again, although I know that it was something that was done in the past.
The Man of the House often comes in on the weekend having splashed petrol on his clothes after an adventure in the man cave. He is immediately banished to the outer and the offending clothing hung on the line (sometimes for days) until some of the evil smell has evaporated!
If normal parliamentary procedure was followed, I expect that some of the opposition party members who followed Mr George Brown out of the chamber to ‘help’ him would have been doing all they could to fan the flames….